Seafarer Killed in Latest Strait of Hormuz Attack on Commercial Shipping

gCaptain18 Aug 2026AI generated

Two bulk carriers were struck by unknown projectiles in separate Strait of Hormuz attacks, leaving two crew casualties including one seafarer killed aboard the Liberia-flagged Minoan Dignity. UKMTO said the Minoan Dignity was hit during an outbound transit on August 17, damaging its engine room; the Omani Coast Guard assisted the remaining crew. INTERCARGO identified the vessel and confirmed the fatality.

A second bulk carrier was struck at approximately 2200 UTC on August 15, with damage to the starboard side and one crew casualty; UKMTO did not name that vessel. Both attacks occurred near the strait's southern approaches off Oman's Musandam Peninsula. UKMTO kept the threat level at SEVERE, and the death brings the confirmed seafarer toll to at least 16 since attacks intensified earlier this year.

Context

It is the first confirmed seafarer fatality since the 60-day truce lapsed on August 17 and Trump said no talks were scheduled.

Source